Great readers make great writers!
Jill is always happy to recommend books or extra study guides.
Please fill out the recommendation form below if you would like a specific recommendation for your child.
Jill's Favorite Series Children's Books:
- A Series of Unfortunate Events-Lemony Snicket, Daniel Handler. Strange characters and unusual plots make this book a great choice for readers looking for something a little different.
- The Box Car Children, Gertrude Chandler Warner. A good introduction to mystery for children age 7-8.
- Magic Treehouse, Mary Pope Osborne The reader is exposed to different times and places as the main characters time travel.
- Wayside School, Louis Sachar. Humorous stories about the children from an unusual school. A great book for hard to please readers.
- Classic Starts Retold classic stories in a simple format, perfect for elementary school aged children.
- Wilma Tenderfoot Well-written mysteries solved by a very likable character.
- Little House on the Prairie An American classic about a girl growing up in the late 1800's.
- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, C. S. Lewis An engaging story of four children who visit a land where they must help mystical creatures fight for freedom.
- Judy Moody, Megan McDonald Several simple chapter books that follow the life of a very lucky and sometimes very unlucky girl.
- The Candy Smash, Jacqueline Davies A popular mystery series with realistic characters.
- George's Secret Key to the Universe, Stephen Hawking Adventures to space with well-developed characters.
- Secrets of Droon, Tony Abbott. For those who liked Magic Tree House, this is a similar time travelling plot, but involves more mystery and adventure for the next reading level.
- The 39 Clues
- Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling. Three main characters fighting the forces of evil. Very descriptive character, setting and plot development throughout the book.
- Nancy Drew and the Drew Crew, Carolyn Keene
- Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Kathryn Lasky
- The Spider Wick Chronicles, Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
- How to Train Your Dragon, Cressida Cowell Adventure books for boys and girls alike.
- The Secret Zoo, Bryan Chick An exciting magical adventure.
- Ivy and Bean, Annie Barrows Beginning chapter book for those students who liked the boldness of Junie B. Jones, but are ready for a book with more substance.
Jill's Favorite Authors:
- E.B. White Sweet stories often involving animals.
- Roald Dahl Quirky characters and unusual plots for the picky reader.
- Kate DiCamillo Some of the best heart-felt stories usually about animals.
- Rick Riordan Action-packed mythological quests.
- Dick King-Smith Simply written animal stories with a fun twist.
Jill's Favorite Books:
- Wonder, R. J. Palacio A touching story about a deformed boy attending school for the first time. Written from his point of view for parts of the story and others' points of view for the rest.
- Mr Poppers Penguins, Richard and Florence Atwater Humorous tale of a man and his family who obtain a pet penguin.
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler, E. L. Konigsburg Excellent character development in this story about a girl not running away from someplace, but rather running to someplace.
- Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Robert C. O'Brien
- The Grimm Legacy, Polly Shulman Mystery and Magic of the Grimm Fairytales.
Jill's Favorite Workbooks:
- Spectrum Reading – Includes vocabulary, reading comprehension, and study skills.
- Teacher Created Resources Grammar – Includes brief definitions of grammatical terms and clear explanations of the skills. Also it has a variety of practice problems.
- Evan-Moor Grammar & Punctuation – Includes definitions and examples of grammatical skills.
- Steck-Vaughn Vocabulary in Context – Includes practice with using context clues to define words, dictionary skills, analogies, prefixes and suffixes.
- Teacher Created Resources Reading Comprehension Books – Any of the teacher created comprehension books are excellent. There is a wide variety of topics to choose from like science, history, social studies and fiction.
Children's Book Recommendation Websites:
Ask for Recommendations here:
Your recommendation request has been successfully sent. We will get back to you as soon as possible.x
* Required fields